Wednesday, January 4, 2006

National Diet Library Sketch Scraps










The good news is that while playing 'blind copy and paste the Japanese ideogram' at the search page in the rare books collection of the Japanese National Diet Library, I managed to find 3 sketch/scrapbooks from which I snagged these images.


The bad news is that my computer crashed before I'd finished making this post and despite going through the browser history, the site has session timeouts and there's no way on earth I can remember which ideogram I used. Damn shame - it was a nice collection of eclectic pastings and ink scribbles and paintings, with a lot of simple but elegant designs. I hope the selection here gives a reasonable indication of the qualities. One of the images above is dated 1826.
(some of these images have had their backgrounds cleaned up a bit)

No comments:

Post a Comment